- Make at least three photocopies of your Passport (the page with your photo, your Date of Birth, the Expiration and Issue dates, Place of of Issue, etc.)
- Make copies of your Driver's License
- Make copies of your Travel Documents (Itinerary, flights, including all vouchers, receipts, tickets, etc)
- Make copies of the front and back of your credit cards, health & prescription insurance cards, and any others you feel it critical to carry with you at all times
- Photocopy a list of Emergency contacts, including your estate executor, a neighbor or someone trusted with a key to your home
- Photocopy any critical medical prescriptions using generic names, medical device manufacturer contact info, etc.
Place in each piece of checked luggage and in one of your companion's luggage pieces (and do the same for them):
- Copy of your Passport and Driver's License
- Copy of your Emergency Contacts
- Copy of your Prescription Medications by their Generic names
Place in your Carryon or Purse or Shoulder Bag:
- Copy of your Passport
- Copy of your Driver's License
- Copy of your Prescription Meds by their Generic Name
- Your original IDs and Travel Documents (flights, itinerary, vouchers, tickets, etc)
Leave at home on the kitchen counter or other accessible spot for a trusted person to enter and retrieve for you in an emergency:
- A copy of ALL of the above from the first list
It is also a good idea to email all of the above to yourself using a web-based email server you can access from wherever you are (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, your internet service provider's webmail, Me.com, etc). Note: Do not include credit card account numbers in the email.
One more precaution I do is keep a photo of my passport number on my smart phone. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, you can input the number in Notes or somewhere in an app on the phone.
Now if you lose your wallet, your luggage, your mobile phone, or need to replace medications, eyeglasses, contacts, medical devices, or prove you really are whom you say you are, you will be able to access the information you need!